SOUTHERN ARKANSAS MULERIDERS
Position: Starting Pitcher
Recently named Daktronics First Team All-South Region and the Region Pitcher of the Year, Hayden was the Gulf South Conference West Division Player of the Year this season, a unanimous First Team GSC selection, was named to the GSC All-Tournament team and was twice selected this season as the GSC Pitcher of the Week, receiving that honor seven times in his career, the most in league history. Among his accolades, Hayden has become the first player from Southern Arkansas to be a three-time All-GSC first team honoree. At one point during the season he also tossed 42 2/3 consecutive scoreless innings, the second longest streak in conference history. Simpson has given up just 23 runs this year, including only 18 earned runs, while opponents are hitting just .193 against him. He has seven double-digit strikeout performances to his credit this year, including season-highs of 13 twice. A first team All-American, All-South Region and South Region Pitcher of the Year on three different teams (ABCA/Rawlings, Daktronics and NCBWA) a year ago, Hayden has gone 35-2 during his collegiate career with a 2.36 ERA and 315 strikeouts. His 13 wins in 2010 are second in the nation and he also ranks in the top 10 in the country in ERA, strikeouts per nine innings (11.6) and hits allowed per nine innings (6.3).
Hayden Simpson's 2010 Honors:
- Tino Martinez National Player of the Year finalist
- Rawlings/ABCA National Pitcher of the Year
- Rawlings/ABCA First Team All-America
- Daktronics Ron Lenz National Pitcher of the Year
- Daktronics First Team All-America
- NCBWA National Pitcher of the Year
- NCBWA First Team All-America
- ABCA/Rawlings South Region Pitcher of the Year (unanimous)
- ABCA/Rawlings First Team All-South Region (unanimous)
- Daktronics South Region Pitcher of the Year (unanimous)
- Daktronics First Team All-South Region (unanimous)
- NCBWA South Region Pitcher of the Year (unanimous)
- NCBWA First Team All-South Region (unanimous)
- South Region All-Tournament Team
- Gulf South Conference West Division Player of the Year
- First Team All-Gulf South Conference
- Gulf South Conference West Division Pitcher of the Week (2/9)
- Gulf South Conference West Division Pitcher of the Week (3/23)
- Gulf South Conference All-Tournament Team
- Gulf South Conference career record seven shutouts (tied)
- Southern Arkansas career record 35 wins
- Southern Arkansas career record .946 (35-2) win percentage
- Southern Arkansas career record 323 strikeouts
- Southern Arkansas record 42 2/3 consecutive scoreless inning streak
Get to know Hayden:
- In a season full of outstanding accomplishments and success what has been your most memorable moment?
“Winning the Gulf South Conference West Division title outright this season for the first time in school history…it is such a competitive conference and to win the West outright was truly a team effort.”
- If you were asked to talk to a recruit and talk to him about joining the team, what would be the major reason for him to choose your school?
“If you come to Southern Arkansas you will be the best player you can be. The town (Magnolia) will love you and you will get the feel of a family away from home. At SAU we're all about doing things that have never been done…join the tradition.”
- Who has been most influential in your development as a player?
“Two…my pitching coach at SAU, Justin Pettigrew, and Wes Johnson, a former GA.”
- What player that you competed against this year would get your vote for the Tino Martinez Award?
“Tampa outfielder Jared Simon.”
- What do you like to do when you're not playing baseball?
“I like to hunt and fish…anything that can keep me out of the house.”
- What are your plans for the summer?
“Following the MLB draft…hopefully that works out, and then we'll see from there.”